Author Topic: Book update  (Read 6093 times)

Offline Matthew Searle

• Administrator
    • WorkflowFAQ
Book update
« on: October 10, 2005, 10:47:18 AM »
Sadly, I don't seem to be receiving any comments on the book so far - I know people are downloading it, but I really do value any opinions out there!

PLEASE can you let me know what you think.  I really need comments on things like:

• Writing style
  • Topics covered
  • Is it too basic / too technical / just about right?
  • What would you like to see included in the book?
  • Is there already something like this out there?  I haven't seen anything like it before, but that's no guarantee!

I'm in the process of putting together a formal proposal for a number of publishers at the moment, so this is your chance to add to the topics that the book will cover - if not, then I'll have to add any belated requests to the reprint! ;D  I'm not making any guarantees that I'll include everything that is suggested, but I'd appreciate some more input from the wider world before I commit to a definite outline of the book for publication.

Any comments / suggestions can either be posted here or feel free to contact me via email at bookreviews@workflowfaq.com

Thanks,

Matt
View my online profile on LinkedIN: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattsearle

Offline timfoster

Re: Book update
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 04:04:19 PM »
Matthew,

I am a relative newbie to workflow development, took the course provided by Oracle and have read some of their documentation but one topic that I have always found confusing is notifications via email and the notification mailer itself.  How does it know which template to use,  what exactly happens when you choose approve from the email, how a plain text email works when you respond to it.  In my opinion a clearer explanation of what happens once a notification is sent and what happens in the background to build the email notification would be of assistance.

Tim

Offline buntoro

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 12:39:57 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your advice in the Oracle FAQ about "Workflow notification called by database trigger"
Sorry for being late to give any response to your mail.
I'm having some sort of problem in installing the Oracle Workflow and those thing in configuration.
Actually it forced me to search the installation and configuring solution of Oracle Workflow through the Oracle FAQ.

By the way.
I'm new in using Oracle Workflow maybe my reviews won't give you lots information.

Here are my reviews

On the Chapter 1.
You wrote that on earlier version of Workflow 2.6.3 (which is Workflow 2.6.2 or earlier) which send e-mail notification via MAPI (Messaging Application Programming Interface).
As far as I know the MAPI was desupported by Microsoft thus we cannot use them to send e-mail notification using MAPI in Windows 2000 platform or higher.

On the Chapter 2.
If we use the the Workflow 2.6.2, there will be a chance that the Workflow Notification Mailer would not work properly especially those who runs in Windows platform. Workflow 2.6.3 which implements Java Notification Mailer would be better to be used.
And also, if we use the Oracle Workflow 2.6.3, it should be in Oracle 10g, otherwise it will refuse to be installed.

I don't see that you are about expalining "Using Java Mailer from Oracle Workflow" in your book's chapter, maybe it would be something great to explain.
Or is it such an easy thing to do?

In my opinion, you are giving lots of information in this review, esepecially for those who starts to
learn using Oracle Workflow.
Those pictures given in that Alpha Review would be more helpful. We can follow the instruction from those pictures.
And it's quite easy to understand by reading some chapters from your book.

Regards,

Buntoro

Offline shsaifee

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:39:52 AM »
When can we purchase this book? I found this really interesting......

Thanks.

Offline rvidiyala

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 07:26:38 AM »
Hi,

The book was very good. It's very useful to the beginners. It's covered the total basics of the workflow.
The way of your writing these books was very good and simple understandable.
Its a wonderful effort.

Thanks & Regards,
rvidiyala.

Offline makisblack

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:03:26 PM »
Hi Matt,
Today only i had registered to your website. The main interest to log register here was to seek your help when ever i am in a soup while working on WF. Additionally wud like to request you to let me know if i can be helpful in your efforts to make WF developers life easy in any way.

Regds
MAk  :)

Offline mahendhran.mm

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:58:19 PM »
hi,
i am fro india.just started to learn work flow. you site and books are highly higly usefull.please provide more examples and screen shots as for beginers to build basic confidence.please dot stop posting as gus don give a reply.it may be loss for a huge.the only site i found regarding workflow was u rs.

thank you.

Offline Ashishkumar_Bhatt

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »
Hi

First of all thanks from the bottom of my heart, for providing me such nice information and books to learn about workflow. I really got something useful from that. I am searching for the "why should i use this workflow? i.e. uses of it", i went through many many documents on it. But i didnt satisfied with answer or information provided. Then i came to your books, i got the point what i want.

its my kind request to you to provide me next chapters of the book.

Offline hzzzhsh

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »
I found that it is a really good book for me. Could you please share the other chapters for me? Thank you very much